Harpenden Swimming Club, based in Hertfordshire, is looking for a part-time Lead Squad Coach with responsibility for our Junior Age and County Development squads (mainly evening sessions).
The position would ideally suit a coach who holds a Swim England Swimming Coach certificate or ASA Level 2 award, looking for the next step in their swim coaching, who perhaps has another career elsewhere, but who is passionate about swimming. The role will have the opportunity to be mentored by the Head Coach in helping with their development in delivering and planning a training program.
The role will involve directly taking a number of training sessions per week with the Junior Age or County Development squads with the opportunity to coach additional squads.
Qualifications, skills and attributes (required):
- Swim England Swimming Coach certificate or ASA Level 2 Coaching Award
- Passionate about the sport of swimming
- Background in competitive swimming and strong technical knowledge
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Enjoy coaching all age groups and a have keen interest with furthering all aspects of the swimmer’s development
Qualifications, skills and attributes (desirable):
- Current NPLQ or Teacher Rescue qualification
- A gym or fitness qualification equivalent to Level 2 suitable for leading dry side training sessions
Main responsibilities include:
- Planning and delivering a training program for County Development / Junior Age squads in-line with the squad criteria as outlined by the Head Coach. Guidance and training will be provided by the Head Coach
- Aid the Head Coach with squad movements and league selections
- Attend competitions relevant to the squad
- Provide cover for other members of the coaching team.
- Ensure the delivery of sessions are in-line with the Club’s code of conduct and child protection policies
- Attend meetings for coaches
- Build good relations with the parents of the swimmers and abide to guidance as laid out in Wavepower.
About the Club:
Harpenden Swimming Club is a long-standing friendly but competitive club based in Hertfordshire, with swimmers of abilities ranging from stroke improvement to national qualifiers. Our coaching team run sessions over six days a week.Harpenden is a small but competitive club where every member counts. We aim to develop each individual swimmer to their optimum, to equip them with all the skills to achieve this, and in doing so to build up a strong competitive team with strength in depth.
The Club’s main pool is at Harpenden Leisure Centre, which has recently had a full refurbishment and includes new blocks and equipment. We normally train in the evenings during the week at pools in Harpenden and St Albans. We also train on Sunday mornings at the 50m pool in Luton, as well as Harpenden Leisure Centre on Sunday afternoons.
We place a large emphasis on technique and executing skills quickly over short distances with the younger swimmers, progressing through the distances as skills are solidified and swimmers move through the squads. It is important to us that swimmers enjoy both swimming and other sports and so we work hard in the pool time that we do have and then have time off so our members can do other things.
The Club aims to get every swimmer into competition at an appropriate standard. The club competes in the Hertfordshire Swimming Leagues and the National Arena League, Swim England Hertfordshire County Championships, East Region Regional Championships and has sent swimmers to both Swim England and British Summer Nationals. We also compete in many Open Meets in the local area and region throughout the season.
Summary of details:
- Address: Harpenden Leisure Centre, Rothamsted Park, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, AL5 2FR
- Salary: Salary dependent on skills and experience
- Contract type: Self-employed
- Working hours: Part-time
How To Apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter to the Club’s Chairman, Steve Craig, at firstname.lastname@example.org